What is my blog about? It's about Torah family living. It's about letting Torah affect our daily lives, from mealtime to bedtime, homeschooling to farm chores.


Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Bible is our textbook

We all say it, but is it really true?
Can we teach our children everything with our Bible and perhaps a few reference works? I thought I'd do a little experiment with next week's torah portion and find out. Here's what I came up with.

I am assuming a methodical math and reading curriculum.

Ha'azinu Deuteronomy 32

History:
history of publishing
American court systems, compare and contrast with Torah court system
learn about inheritances, write a will leaving all your possessions to various family members
ancient idolatry
use of arrows
dragons, legends and truth
Israel's exile to Assyria
geography and topography of Jordan River and Mount Nebo

Science:
study ears
rain and dew
rocks
how to survive in a desert
eagles, particularly how they raise their young
oil and how it is harvested/used
dairy products
magma, lava, volcanoes
poisonous snakes
carniverous animals
nourishment of breastmilk
vineyards
body's need for water, dehydration

Character:
define foolish with only bible verses
ask your father about a sin he struggled with in his youth and how he overcame it
define abhor
learn about and practice caring for the elderly
learn about YHVH's ability to heal

I don't know about you, but that would keep us busy for way more than a week. How much more will be found in next week's torah portion?

Torah is definitely relevant to education, and I think there is real potential for it to be our very base to what we teach.

Have a great school week everyone!

5 comments:

Gail said...

Nice post! What a freeing way to lok at *real learning*.

I found your blog while searching through those posted on Messianic Keepers at Home. I liked your boots and the title of this blog! I look forward to reading more.

Sigalit Chana said...

Relevant indeed! =) Wonderful post!

Andi said...

Thank you for the light bulb in the dark....sometimes the most obivious things are not seen...LOL!

Peterson Party said...

Will you blog about your acttivities that correspond with Torah? I will be adding the Torah readings/activities to my childrens curriculum after Sukkot.

Heidi said...

Another mom had the same idea at about the same time as me. She began a blog to put in one place all the ideas for using the torah portion as the base for school. I will be helping her add things at torahschool.wordpress.com Be sure to check it out as we fill things in.

You may enjoy reading:

More thoughts to consider